Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tunnel of Fudge Cake - At Last I Found You!

In 1966 a new recipe from the Pillsbury Bake Off burst on the scene and wound its way into my mother's kitchen.  If I remember correctly, this cake, called Tunnel of Fudge, didn't even win the Cook Off but was a runner up.  It also introduced the bundt pan to America.  Note:  my bundt pan is HEAVY and a lovely avocado green, so that tells you how long I have had that puppy! 

It was our family's favorite cake growing up, but alas and alack, the secret ingredient that made the fudgy gooey center of the cake  - the Pillsbury Double Dutch boxed icing mix (dry) has not been made for many, many years. 

Since that time I have been on a quest to find the perfect Tunnel of Fudge cake recipe.  I tried one where you used canned frosting - ugh.  Don't even go there.  Let's just say the "tunnel of fudge" managed to escape the middle of the cake.  I tried one recipe which had you use a box of another chocolate fudge frosting mix.  Too dry. 

However, thanks to Pinterest, I stumbled across another recipe - this time from a blog called Annie's Eats.    Nirvana - I think I have found it!  The only thing I would change in this recipe is to add pecans or walnuts, because that is how my mom made it!

The true test will be serving it up to my Dad tomorrow night.  If it passes the Larry test, we are good to go!  I'll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment